Alfredo R. Arauco Brown, MD
Dr. Brown received his undergraduate medical education from Peru’s Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia. Eight months of his last two years of undergraduate education were spent in clinical and research sub-internships at Johns Hopkins University in the fields of Internal Medicine, Infectious Disease, and Pulmonology. His post-graduate medical education (Internship and Residency) was obtained at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, Texas, followed by post-doctoral fellowships in Pulmonary, Lung Transplantation, and Critical Care Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas.
His post-graduate training includes specialized education in the management of advanced cardio-respiratory failure and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS), Interstitial Lung Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, heart transplantation in advanced heart failure, and post-surgical cardio-respiratory recovery. His clinical expertise includes standard Critical Care procedures, right heart catheterization, placement of indwelling pleural catheters for the management of chronic pleural effusions, bronchoscopy(including biopsies, EBUS, airway disease, and airway stents placement), and critical care ultrasonography.
Research experience has included a study of the role of airway colonization with non-tuberculous mycobacteria affecting the progression of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients; evolutionary origin of mucosal-airway leech infestations; Bird Fancier Lung-Emphysema interrelations; and the role of early extracorporeal life support (ECMO) in the outcome of severe cardiorespiratory failure patients. His research findings have been published in multiple peer-reviewed journals as abstracts and articles.
At our Center, Dr. Brown will assess and treat the broad spectrum of breathing (pulmonary) complaints/problems, with special interest and expertise in the assessment and treatment of advanced lung disease due to COPD, bronchiectasis, ILD, CF, Pulmonary Hypertension, and screening-evaluation for a potential lung transplant.
Hobbies and leisure interests include falconry, martial arts, reading/literature, and playing guitar, piano, flute, charango, and other instruments in local bands. Dr. Brown is fluent in English, Spanish, and French.
Selected recent publications:
- Villanueva M, Soria Moncada J, Cornejo Leon M, Soto Arquiñigo L and Arauco Brown R. An Unusual Case of Anaphylaxis after Blunt Abdominal Trauma. J Emerg Med. 2016 Mar;50(3)143-6. PMID: 26818384
- Arauco AR, Manian P, Murthy J, Connolli T. An Early Aggressive Strategy for the Treatment of Hanta Virus Cardio-Pulmonary Syndrome: A perspective from an Extra-Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) Center. Clin Infect Dis. (2014) 59 (3): 458-459. PMID: 24771336
- Arauco Brown R, Torrealba J, Hanania N and Girod C. A 55-Year-Old Non-Smoker with Severe Airway Obstruction Requiring Bilateral Lung Transplantation. Insights in Allergy, Asthma & Bronchitis. iMedPub Journals. 2015/Vol. 1 No. 1:4
- Van Hoang, MD; Alfredo Arauco-Brown, MD; Diana Guerra, MD. Fatal Rapidly Progressive Native Valve Endocarditis Due to Mycobacterium abscessus. Chest. 2015; 148(4_MeetingAbstracts):165A-165A. doi: 10.1378/chest.2246778
- Arauco Brown R. A new Thread: Synthetic Marijuana Associated Lung Disease. Research Abstract for ATS 2015. Am j Respir Crit Care Med 2015
- Arauco Brown R, Newton C, Battaile J Inhaled Corticosteroid Use in COPD Patients is not Associated with an Increased Likelihood of Airway Colonization with Nontuberculous Mycobacteria. Research Abstract for ATS 2013. Am j Respir Crit Care Med 2013
- Anna J. Phillips , Renzo Arauco Brown, MD , Alejandro Oceguera-Figueroa. Tyrannobdella rex n. gen. n. sp. and the evolutionary origins of mucosal leech infestations. PLoS One. 2010 Apr 14;5(4):e10057. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0010057.PMID 20418997