Mario Gomez, MD
Doctor Gomez joined our clinical staff in 2009. He completed his medical education at Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia in Lima, Peru, his post-doctoral training being taken in Internal Medicine at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan. He received his Pulmonary and Critical Care training at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston, where he served as Chief Fellow and trained in Interventional Pulmonology.
Dr. Gomez is Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, Critical Care Medicine, and Interventional Pulmonology. His interests include lung cancer, advanced diagnostic and therapeutic bronchoscopy, endobronchial ultrasound, endobronchial electro-surgery, pleural disease, and sleep-disordered breathing. His research in the field of Interventional Pulmonology has been presented at major national conferences and has been published in renowned medical journals. He is actively involved in the education of Internal Medicine Residents at UTRGV at Doctors Hospital at Renaissance.
Dr. Gomez strives to deliver compassionate, efficient, and up-to-date care to his patients, taking special care in helping them understand the complexities of their diagnostic and therapeutic interventions. When not immersed in his medical duties, Dr. Gomez is an avid traveler and enjoys spending time at South Padre Island with family and friends.
- Invasive Staging of Non-small Cell Lung Cancer. Gomez M, Shamblin J, Silvestri GA. In: Ravenel J, ed. Contemporary Medical Imaging. Springer. 2013.
- Pre-operative Evaluation for Lung Cancer Resection. Shamblin J, Gomez M, Silvestri GA. In: Ravenel J, ed. Contemporary Medical Imaging. Springer. 2013.
- Anesthesia for Flexible Bronchoscopy. Gomez M, Silvestri GA. In: Wang KP, Mehta AC, ed. Flexible Bronchoscopy. Malden, Massachusetts, Blackwell Publishing. 2012.
- Evaluation of Non-Palpable Lesions of the Breast by Mammography and Ultrasound and their Anatomo-Pathological Correlation. Gomez M. Thesis to opt for medical surgeon’s title. UPCH 2000.
- The Utility of Nodule Volume in the Context of Malignancy Prediction for Small Pulmonary Nodules. Mehta J, Ravenel J, Shaftman S, Gomez, M, et al. Chest. 2014 March:145(3):464-472.
- Physician preferences for management of patients with stage IIIA NSCLC: impact of the bulk of nodal disease on therapy selection. Tanner NT, Gomez M, Rainwater C, et al. J Thorac Oncol. 2012 Feb:7(2):365-9.
- Using Endobronchial ultrasound features to predict lymph node metastasis in patients with lung cancer. Memoli JS, El-Bayoumi E, Pastis NJ, Tanner NT, Gomez M, et al. Chest. 2011 Dec:140:1550-6.
- Tuberculous Mediastinal Lymphadenitis evolved into Pulmonary Tuberculosis following Transbronchial Needle Aspiration. Gomez M, Church LW, Judson MA. Respirology. 2010 Oct;15(7):1140-1.
- Denture Misadventure: An Unusual Cause of Hemoptysis Nine Years Later. Tanner NT, Gomez M, Silvestri GA. J Bronchol Intervent Pulmonol 2009; 16:216-218.
- A 79-Year-Old Female with a Right Paratracheal Mass. Gomez M, Tanner NT, Recavarren RA, Ravenel J, Silvestri GA. CHEST 2009; 135(5):1384-1388.
- Endobronchial Ultrasound for Diagnosis and Staging of Lung Cancer. Gomez M, Silvestri GA. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2009; 6:180-186.
- Lung Cancer Screening. Gomez M, Silvestri GA. Am J Med Sci 2008; 335(1):46-50.
- Endobronchial Actinomycosis Associated with a Foreign Body. Gomez M, Ray C, Allenspach L, Kvale P. J Bronch 2005; 12:54-55.
- Mamografia y ecografia en la evaluacion de las lesiones no palpables de la mama y su correlacion anatomo-patologica. Gomez M, Huayanay J. Rev Med Hered, 2002; 13:135-139.
- Endobronchial Ultrasound-Guided Transbronchial Needle Aspiration: Hispanic Rural Community Hospital Experience. Gomez M, Recavarren R, Abreu R, Ortiz JM, Kaplan A. CHEST 2011.
- Predictors of Positivity in Mediastinal Staging of Lung Cancer Utilizing EBUS. Wang J, El-Bayoumi E, Pastis N, Tanner N, Gomez M, Huggins T, Taylor KK, Silvestri GA. CHEST 2009.
- Development and Testing of Multivariate Statistical Prediction Model of Malignancy Potential of Small (<1.5 cm) Pulmonary Nodules. Gomez M, Ravenel J, Nietert P, Ginty F, Miller JV, Hammond C, Taylor KK, Silvestri GA. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2009;179:A1109.
- Physician Attitudes Towards Lung Cancer Screening. Gomez M, Silvestri GA. CHEST 2008; 134:p159001.
- Physician Preferences for Management of Patients With Stage IIIA NSCLC: Impact of Bulk of Nodal Disease on Therapy Selection. Green MR, Daniels L, Willey LJ, Iovino LA, Giebner S, Gomez M, Lemke K, Rafferty G, Silvestri GA. CHEST 2008; 134:p44003.
- Epidemiology of Pleural Effusions at a University Hospital. Gomez M, Agrawal V, Doelken P, Sahn SA. CHEST 2007;132:618A.
- Dual Diagnosis: A Cause of the Problematic Effusion. Agrawal V, Gomez M, Doelken P, Sahn SA. CHEST 2007;132:618.
- The Diagnostic Value of Low Pleural Fluid pH Revisited. Gomez M, Agrawal V, Doelken P, Sahn SA. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2007;175:A866.
- Pleural Fluid Analysis in Chylothorax. Agrawal V, Gomez M, Heidecker J, Doelken P, Sahn SA. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2007;175:A865.
- Medical Chauvinism and the Physical Exam in an Unexpected Cause of Hypercalcemia. Habib Z, Gomez M, Keimig E, Ochani M, Hall M, Hobbs RD. Society of General Internal Medicine, 29th Annual Meeting, April 2006. Abstracts supplement to page 250.